Alessia’s Birth Story

By the time I was 38 weeks pregnant, I had already been having Braxton hicks and “false labor” for weeks. At 38 week midwife appointment they told me that I was 3 cm dilated and I thought maybe I would be giving birth sooner rather than later but I was disappointed when I made it another week. At my last midwife appointment when I was 39 weeks plus 3 days I was still 3-3.5cm dilated and I was so discouraged but I asked for a sweep and went home to continue on my day. That evening when my kids were in bed I felt that I was going to go into labor in the next few hours but I didn’t want to get my hopes up. As I was going to bed at 9pm, I still didn’t have any “real” contractions but I still felt like my body was getting ready. I kept this all to myself, not telling Daniel that I felt like this was the night because I wanted him to be able to sleep at least the first part of the night.  I took a Tylenol and gravel and headed to bed.

On Thursday, October 29th at 12:30am I woke up with my lower back hurting. It was 3 days before my due date. I got up to get a drink down stairs. I decided to have a drink with electrolytes just in case this was going to be real. I went back to bed but at 1am I woke up with a contraction that was still small but more noticeable then most of the “false” labor I was having in the week’s prior. I decided to try to sleep longer but every 7-10 minutes I would wake up to a contraction. The contractions were getting strong, and more often but tolerable. “They” always say, if you can walk and talk though them it is not active labor… so I ran a bath to see if to the contractions would ease up. At about 2am Daniel woke up from the bath running and he came in the bathroom. He sat at the side of the tub timing contractions and rubbing my back as they just got more uncomfortable and closer together. At 2:30 am I asked Daniel to call my sister to come over. He was hesitant about calling her this “early” in my labor so I could hear him on the phone telling her to take her time.  We moved from the bathroom to my birth ball and my sister showed up about 3:30am. This was about the same time that I started throwing up (Its kind of one of my specialties) I was also asking Daniel to call the Tiffany (the midwife I knew was on call) He again seemed hesitant about calling to early so he decided to ignore me for a couple more contractions until I finally told him that I would punch him in the face if he didn’t call. After calling the pager, Daniel came back into the room and said that it was actually Jenny (the student midwife) and that she said she would call us back after she talked to Tiffany. So strange right? What I found out later was that there were 4 midwives that wanted to be notified when I was in labor because they all wanted to be at the birth. My midwife, Jenn, pulled rank for primary midwife and got to my house around 4:15am.  As soon as she walked into my bathroom I told her I felt like I needed to push. I could hear Daniel say in a soft voice ‘oops’ cause he knew that may have had waited a little too long to call for the midwives.

My midwife, Jenn, called for the second midwife, Chelsea, who had dibs on being at my birth and pulled the “I live the closest to her house” card.

Having those 2 midwives at this birth was special for me because Jenn was the midwife at my birth for Aria and Chelsea was the midwife at my birth for Alaina. I have been in the care of these ladies since June 2016 when I found out I was pregnant with Aria.

By the time that midwife, Chelsea, arrived I was clearly in transition. Walking around trying to get a position that felt somewhat comfortable and just feeling like I couldn’t go on much longer. At 4:45am I felt the need to push with every contraction which were now completely on top of each other. Standing hunched over at my bathroom sink and pushing out Alessia’s head (if you have ever felt the ring of fire, you know the pain), I tried to convince everyone that I was just going to keep the baby inside.

A few pushes later out came Alessia, caught by my midwife Jenn.

Alessia came out weighing the biggest of all 3 girls of my girls at 6lb 7oz and 18.5 inch long. My active labor started at about 2am and Alessia was born at 4:58am.

One thought on “Alessia’s Birth Story

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s