Have you ever had those crunchy Nature Valley granola bars, the one in the green package? This granola has a similar crunch. They are vegan PLUS, they are gluten-free with no refined sugar, boom!
I have my granola with very simple with nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt. Other great options are almond, soy or coconut yogurt to keep it vegan, or if you insist a custard
or lemon curd and shape the granola into mini tart pans would be so yummy if you are making these for more of a dessert.
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats , Quaker
- 1 cup walnuts finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 2 cups greek yogurt (coconut yogurt, or almond yogurt)
- 4 cups mixed fruit for topping, (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, apples. I love using mango and blackberries.)
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 15 mns
- Pre-heat oven to 325°F.
- Mix the oats, nuts, seeds, melted oil, honey, vanilla and cinnamon together in a bowl until thoroughly coated.
- Spread evening of a baking sheet, if you are making the granola into tarts: press about 3 tablespoons of the mixture into non-stick mini tart pans. Use the back of an oiled spoon to help press the granola evenly across the pan and up the sides.
- Bake in the center rack of the oven for about 15 to 17 minutes, or until golden. Remove and let cool.
If making into tart shells: immediately after you remove the tart shells from the oven, use the back of the spoon to press down the centers of the crust to create more of an indentation, and push up the sides. The shell puffs up in the oven, so it helps to reshape the crust after it bakes while still hot. Allow cooling completely in the pan before removing. Use a small knife to gently release the sides of the crust, working around each side, then very carefully remove it from the pan, turning over if needed into your hand. The crust should be crisp on the sides and hold together, but will be delicate.
When you are ready to enjoy, I serve about ½ cup of the granola pre serving or one mini tart per serving.
This recipe yields about 3 cups or 8 mini tarts.